Larry is one of the highest profile experts on ethanol plant project development
and the ethanol industry in the country. He has made more than 500 developer presentations
at ethanol investor meetings over fifteen years, resulting in financing and construction
of many ethanol plants across the country. He has authored more than 50 papers and
articles, and has presented at dozens of national conferences and workshops on various
topics about the fuel ethanol industry. Larry served as Director of Business Development
for Delta-T Corporation of Williamsburg, from 2000 through 2005. At Delta-T he led
the marketing and project development team for the U.S. fuel ethanol market. Prior
to joining Delta-T Corporation Larry managed his ethanol consulting business from
1986 through 1999, providing services for many facets of the U.S. ethanol industry
and as a lobbyist for fuel ethanol interests. He conceived, wrote and successfully
lobbied a bill in the 1986 Minnesota Legislative Session that significantly increased
funding for the state fuel ethanol industry and ultimately resulted in Minnesota
taking the lead nationally in ethanol plant project development.
- More than 20 years of experience in developing agricultural related businesses.
- Hands-on expertise and knowledge from agricultural production, banking, environmental
services, project development, banking, financing, public relations, risk management
- Deep roots in the agricultural community reflecting those values and work ethics.
- Will Guide a start-up project through the countless decisions necessary for success,
avoiding common development errors and insuring community support.
- Will work with the client to develop a strategy and a timeline, assuring that events
happen in the proper sequence and valuable time is not wasted.
- Will recommend trusted, professional contacts that will provide quality performance
at reasonable rates.
- Will structure your business to provide the greatest advantage to the founders and
to the community.
- No direct ties to institutions or companies, allowing work with those entities providing
the greatest benefits.
- Can bring in financial partners to fit individual project requirements.
- Bringing the creativity and innovation necessary to keep up with the rapidly changing
world of agriculture and value-added technologies.
The following is a brief outline of my activities.
- I became interested in ethanol in while operating a cash grain farm in 1980, believing
that the energy market was a potential answer to continual overproduction and agricultural
surpluses. This experience in agricultural is invaluable for assessing the economics
of ethanol feedstocks and understanding the potential for the next generation of
biobased crop production.
- My interest in agriculture and ethanol, evolved into political activities, creating
the Minnesota Model, assisting related policy issues in other states, Washington
D.C., Australia and Canada.
- In 1986, I began a career in ethanol, creating an educational and marketing program
in Minnesota centered around the “Ethanol Answerman.” I developed a program of fuel
seminars for mechanics, did troubleshooting for gasoline retailers and created a
training video on oxygenated fuels in off-road engines, for vocational schools,
small engine manufacturers and mechanics.
- I founded a consulting company called Ethanol Marketing and Management Services,
and in 1991 began developing the first ethanol cooperatives in Minnesota, eventually
working with 10 of the current 16 producers.
- In 1999 I structured an ethanol marketing company for Delta-T Corporation. Upon
completion, I was asked to join Delta-T to market ethanol and then to manage their
U.S. Business Development division. As the industry began its rapid expansion, I
soon focused on developing new ethanol projects and remained in that position until
2006 when I left on very good terms.
- I am now providing consulting services as LLJ Consulting and Business Development.
The new energy and agricultural economics, rapidly evolving technology, environmental
issues, financing difficulties and irresponsible media, assure that the plants of
the future will not be the same as those of the past decade.
- My years of experience, varied activities and extensive knowledge on energy and
project related issues will serve a client well to design and implement a concise
and efficient project development strategy.
- My agricultural and energy knowledge, project and marketing experience, political
and PR activities and extensive network in the industry will provide a valuable
addition to your next energy related venture.